Tracy Chapman

Tuesday 22 January 2013


      Tracy Chapman is an American song writer born in 1964 in Ohio. She has been writing songs since she was eight, after her mother bought her a ukelele that waked her taste for music. Tracy attended the program “A Better Chance” and later she went to college and majored in Anthropology and African Studies.

        In 1978 Tracy joins an African drum ensemble at college, but in the meantime she develops her own guitar playing and performs self written acoustic songs. In 1988 she released her first album and the most commercially successful one. This namesake album was critically acclaimed and she began touring and building a fan base. “Fast Car”, “Talking About Revolution” and “Baby Can I Hold You” were her first hits and her most triumphant songs until our days. 

        I think that it is important to highlight that Tracy is not only an amazing musician but also a social activist. She has performed at numerous socially aware events, for instance she performed in London to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with Amnesty International. She also supported other causes like an Anti-Apartheid movement, an AIDS awareness event and the cause Make Poverty History. 

       Her will to make a better world can also be seen in her lyrics, for this reason I will attach her song “Subcity” that describes the life of the lower classes. I personally love her music and I think she is a great human being.  



People say it doesn't exist
'Cause no one would like to admit
That there is a city underground
Where people live everyday
Off the waste and decay
Off the discards of their fellow man

Here in subcity life is hard
We can't receive any government relief
I'd like to please give Mr. President my honest regards
For disregarding me

They say there's too much crime in these city streets
My sentiments exactly
Government and big business hold the purse strings
When I worked I worked in the factories
I'm at the mercy of the world
I guess I'm lucky to be alive

They say we've fallen through the cracks
They say the system works
But we won't let it help
I guess they never stop to think
We might not just want handouts
But a way to make an honest living
Living this ain't living

What did I do deserve this
Had my trust in god
Worked everyday of my life
Thought I had some guarantees
That's what I thought
At least that's what I thought

Last night I had another restless sleep
Wondering what tomorrow might bring
Last night I dreamed
A cold blue light was shining down on me
I screamed myself awake
Thought I must be dying
Thought I must be dying”

Diana Barros


www.tracychapman.com/

2 comentários:

Teacher Lígia Silva said...

My dear student
what can I say? Apart from also enjoying her music and her role in society, I have to say that your posts are always (until now) excellent. They are well written and well chosen. I'm waiting for more and more.
Thanks a million
Prof. Lígia Silva

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome singer with us Diana!
Inês Ribas