Santa Claus and Coca-Cola

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Christmas is here once more and with it we find ourselves surrounded by carols, mistletoe, x-mas trees, sweets and presents… without forgetting of course the legendary Santa Claus.
The tradition of Santa goes away back, however the old man in a red suit with white collar and cuffs, black boots and a great white beard became popular when the first Christmas ‘commercials from Coca-Cola came out. The urban myth says that Santa wears red because of the colors of the brand, but that’s not truth. The only thing Coca-Cola did was to use Santa’s image, although it was slightly changed by the hands of Haddon Sundblom. To prove this theory we can face the fact that this brand wasn’t even the first one to use Santa in ads.
Although I’m x-mas’ number one fan this makes me think about its meaning nowadays. The most popular figure of this holiday became a symbol because of a massive campaign by Coca-Cola. It’s a well-known fact that x-mas is today a gigantic business, I don’t believe that x-mas should end because of that. I guess that it is important to remember the true meaning of it and enjoy it by the small things that it brings us and not only the presents.
Personally I love x-mas for its songs, for lights in the street, for the cold afternoons by the fireplace with the tree in the background and over all because of the feeling of happiness and hope in a new year.
I leave you with wishes of a great Christmas and a wonderful new year! I will also finish as I started and upload a Coca-Cola commercial which despite everything  is always an inspiring view of Christmas.

Inês Ribas Dias,
Merry Christmas to you all (:







1 comentários:

Teacher Lígia Silva said...

Dear Inês
You keep this blog going and always with interesting subjects. I also love Xmas, but not from the consumerist point of view, in fact I got tired of buying, buying...These days I have dinners with friends and we enjoy ourselves chatting, listening to music and laughing, eating and drinking.
Have a wonderful Xmas
Prof. lígia Silva