A great woman

Monday 10 December 2012

It was a long time ago... I'd say 9 years ago. It looked like another regular day at my ''grandmother's'' house. Why in inverted commas? Because she wasn't my biological grandmother. Still, that lady probably knew me more than everyone else. While my mom was at work, she took care of me. 6.30am everyday I woke up and before catching the bus, my mom left me at my second home.
One day, I got back from the mall with my ''grandfather''. Very happy I was, until a strange thing started to happen. The lady wasn't feeling so well so she went to the hospital.
Apparently she had brain cancer. I didn't know that, in fact, I think I was the last person to know it, due to my age.
After spending some time at the hospital, she went home, but not her's, mine, because she couldn't take care of herself.
June 7, the day of her birthday. She turned 62 in a hospital stretcher.
June 8, she went back to the hospital for examination.
June 10, my birthday. I didn't party like I wanted despite being only a child. Although my grandmother's condition, I still enjoyed my birthday, because like a child I wasn't aware of what was happening.
The following day, June 11. In the morning my mom went to the hospital, to see how she was.
When my mother arrived home, she was preparing me. I didn't know why.
Then she told me. '' You won't go to her house anymore...''
I questioned: ''Why mommy?''
She answered: ''She passed away...''
I started crying like there was no tomorrow...
Today, I realized that in spite of belonging to the past, my life turned upside down.
Everytime I think of her, I start thinking about what it would be like if she was here.
Unfortunately she's not.

Rest in Peace Grandma

Vítor Guimarães
11ºB

1 comentários:

Teacher Lígia Silva said...

Dear Vitor
Your story is very moving and very sad at the same time as that lady died so early. I understand you still miss her as she left a mark on your life but just think about the good moments and the tenderness she gave you. Life is not always fair.
Thanks for sharing your story with us and it is good that you've started "to feed" this blog.

Teacher Lígia Silva