Jane Austen - A Classic Story Teller

Wednesday 10 October 2012



Hello everyone, I’m here to talk to you about an English novelist, one of the most famous ever: Jane Austen. She was born in Stevenson, Hampshire, on 16th of December, 1775. I wish I knew this writer better, but I’ve only read one book, Pride and Prejudice. (there’s a movie based on this novel, starring Keira Knightley, which is just wonderful!)
She dedicated her books to romantic fiction, using realism to portrait English high and middle class society life style. Her books are considered conservative by many, but everyone notices the hidden humor and criticism.  Most of her novels are dedicated to women's lives, speaking about their marriages, thoughts and family life.
Jane Austen’s books are studied today in many schools around the world, because everyone recognizes her work as an important mark in the English and world literature. Among her novels we can find titles as Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey or Persuasion.
As I said, I really wish I knew this novelist better, but my “want to read” list is enormous and since Pride and Prejudice, I’ve never had "returned" to Jane Austen. Actually, I remember to talk to you about Jane when I was thinking about what I’ve to read this year!  If you have already read Jane Austen and you are looking for some quality English literature, why don’t you try one of the Bronte sisters? Emily Bronte or Charlotte Bronte are always good choices!
I leave you with images from the movie based on Pride and Prejudice and a portrait of Jane, joined by her signature. (If you want you can also check the movie about Jane’s life, it’s called Becoming Jane, and her character is played by Anne Hathaway.)



See you at School, Inês Ribas


Jane Austen, portrait and her signature.

Two movies related to Jane Austen.

















1 comentários:

Teacher Lígia Silva said...

My dear
what a good idea to write about Jane Austen and the Brontes. Some years ago I visited Haworth as it is situated in the North not very far from Manchester. It is a small village and as it was winter it was really cold and damp, but I loved to visit their house and all the place.
I also love this kind of film and we may watch one of them in class.
Thanks for your posts
Prof. Lígia Silva